Virginia was the second stop on my travel schedule this year and this is the trip I was most excited about! I attend Freedom Life Church in San Antonio, Texas , which is a church plant out of Hampton, Virginia which basically means we're one church in two locations. As someone who serves in several different areas at our campus, I've either heard of or had interactions with others serving at our Hampton campus, but only from a far. As family I think it's important that I met the individuals I see on our life stream and who pray for our campus so often... so off to Hampton I go.
When I heard that our SA campus Pastor and his wife (my Fairy Godparents) were planning a trip to go back to Hampton (that's where they're from), I knew I had to go too. I was so excited, not only would I be able to add another stop to my #doit17 tour and meet my "extended family", but I would also get to sing 🎤 with the worship team there too. Needless to say, I had a great time, met dope people and ate amazing food.
Top 5 things I learned in Virginia
- I loved it, I would totally move there, if it didn't snow! I HATE snow and even though it didn't snow while I was there (it snows in March...MARCH!), I don't know if I'm willing to run the risk of a snow storm or snow period. Ya'll all I can say is THE BEACHES! My sabbath game would be on a totally different level if I lived there.🙌🏾
- There's so many Black people👦🏾👩🏾👵🏾👴🏾👧🏾. Like SO many...making it easy to feel at home very quickly. There's just something unspoken about Black culture and unarticulated comradery that I didn't realize that I missed. It felt good to not have to code switch or explain cultural references over and over again 🙄.
- My church looks like heaven 🔥! There are so many people from all walks of life and backgrounds, not perfect ,but seeking to grow deeper in Christ. Not only that, but no matter which campus you're at, you will feel at home.
- My Fairy God Parents (PC and Mrs. Q) are everything! They are truly loved from coast to coast. Being able to watch people love on them was awesome. They truly are great people and are making a difference in everyone's life they touch. Also, they don't sleep, they stay up and out ALL night long! Ya'll I was tired for real! I am NOT a night owl by any means so you know I was struggling ...plus there was a time difference from home too. Nevertheless, It was so fun getting to see them in their element ❤️.
- Finally REAL sea food! When I tell ya'll that the crab cake I had almost made shout...FOR REAL! Thanks Kristin, XO🍍.
Location rating: 9 out of 10